Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fast Facts about Homelessness in Murfreesboro

To start off this blog, why not give some information about the problem we are trying to fix?


  • Shelter for homeless women and children in Murfreesboro is considered the number 1 need in our community by 26 community, ministry and city leaders. 
  • When the current shelters were opened in 1933 and 1995, the population of Murfreesboro was less than 54,000. In the 2010 census, it was at 108,000.
  • In Rutherford county and Murfreesboro City Schools during the 2010-2011 school year, their were 948 children reported homeless. 
  • Homeless counts as: staying under bridges, in cars, tents, shelters, temporary housing, cheap motels and "couch surfing" (staying on friends and family couches during short periods of time.) 
  • Many women and children become the victims of rovvery, physical and sexual assault and rape while seeking shelter. 
  • The Way of Hope helps to provide over-flow shelters for homeless women and children by organizing churches to house these women. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alot of women like myself mom to 6. 5 boys one girl she's the baby. My kids are 20 17 12 7 5 and my baby girl is 4. My 7 yr old just passed away after a long hard painful battle with a rare form of lukemia everyone thought he would beat. He died at the age of 7 november 14 2020 he wanted so badly what most kids complain about. To live and to be a normal kid go to sleep do homework. Would have given anything to be a kid and given a chance to live a long happy life. But it was ripped away from him. My landlord started to evict us when we found out he was dying. Took us to court but cuz we never renewed the lease they didn't ask us to slipped our minds with what we were dealing with they were able to be heartless commenting bastards. Put them on channel 4 news blasted them on fb even. Nothing helped our Babyboy died in my arms in my bed at home where he wanted to be on Nov 14 2020 at the age of 7 evicted a couple days later. Most women in my situation are afraid to reach out to anyone thinking their kids will be taken like in my case instead of the school helping me or asking if ok ((they know me personally know I'm a good mom everything I've been thru going thru the pain devastation. Never had loss anyone and fist loss was my son. Then my dad month later and now my gpa to cancer. They know me know. Instead of trying to help asking if ok they have called dhs) like I haven't felt with enough exp enough had enough pain and heartache.

    ReplyDelete